Monday, December 20, 2010

The Weather Outside

IS FRIGHTFUL!!!

We have probably gotten more snow in the three times it has fallen this year than we have had in the last 3 years!!  What gives?  My kids are loving the time off from school ending early today, and they will probably be out tomorrow.  WHY?  It is only a few days until Christmas and I have a bazillion things on my list to do.  I get very little done when they are all here.  Sadly, it is not just at the holidays that this happens.  Why is it that I get so little done when the kids are all here?  I know I am not in the boat alone on this one.  I often hear this from my friends.

I don't think this weather is all bad though, I have missed a 'good old fashioned' winter.  This is reminescent of when I was a child, all those years ago.  We would go sledding down on the hill in the pasture.  At the bottom of this hill was a pond.  On the sides of the run were old, overgrown apple trees that were growing their winter spikes, so we needed to avoid those on the way down.  We had sleds with the runners on them, and then we had some that were homemade.  One of these homemade wonders was a Huckleberry Hound ride-on toy that I think once had wheels on it.  The wheels were removed and it was attached to boards and a piece of linoleum.  I don't believe there was any way to steer that thing, and I don't think it would have passed any safety regs in today's market.  Then we received a toboggan one Christmas and that changed everything for us.  We could fit about 6 of us on that thing and it was a blast.  Of course, we had to wax that bugger up good before we took it out, but that was all part of the fun.  It made for hours of fun for us kids.  That was a time when kids could go out and have fun without motor operated or electronics to buy.  I don't know of too many kids these days who would even have just a ride on toy that you sit on and push with your feet.  It seems all their toys have batteries or motors, and you can't but anything under $40 any more unless you just want to buy junk.  This is not the way our childhoods were over 4 decades ago.  Then again, what is? 

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I came across your blog and had to laugh! I have two standard poodles, 12 chickens, 1 cat - 4 girls and live in Minnesota too! I started out with Silkie Bantams and have 24 in the incubator right now! We are laying electric fence for our poodles ( thanks for the tip on the 14 gauge wire ) ! I was searching your blog for a pic of your poodles I have one white and one black ! God Bless you.. I wish you where my neighbor - we would have tons of fun!! Kristi ( from Forest Lake )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristi! I am glad you are enjoying my blog. I wish I had more time to sit and type, I come from a long line of story/joke tellers. My kids are following in my footsteps too, or at least 2 are. Ha ha.
    There are a lot of folks up your way with chickens. Are you on BYC?
    My Brother-in-law lived up there for a few years, but he was killed a couple of years ago on a motorcycle about a mile from his house. Sad thing there.
    I just have the two parents right now. Zeke won't be fathering any more pups though, he has an overbite, which I did not intend to breed him because of, but you know how it is when things start happening. We got him fixed as soon as we saw them mating. It was too late, the damage was done, but it won't happen again. I want to get a couple more females and breed them, but one step at a time. I need to get all my chickens squared away first.
    I need to get out and move chicks and work on buildings now, in fact.
    Keep in touch. If you are on BYC, pm/e-mail me from there and we can e-mail each other if you would like. I am going to hatch more Silkies yet this year. I have loads more breeds too though. the only other bantams are Cochins though.
    Take care and enjoy the beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete