Monday, December 6, 2010

I Hate Mondays!!!

Mondays wouldn't be so bad, but as soon as the kids get home from school it is run, run, run.
My daughter has dance from 5-6, son #1 has piano from 6-6:30, daughter has piano from 6:30-7 and then back to dance from 7:30-8.  Now you can say, "Well, you signed them up!"  Yeah, I know.  Last year, I had my daughter doing all her dance on one night.  It would be great to do that again, but she was always so tired by Monday night and it was just the beginning of the week.  I didn't want to put her through that again, it is no way to start the week.  But then we started piano lessons and that just ended up doing the same thing as last year's schedule.  I can't win.
I do let my kids do some of this extra-curricular stuff because if they didn't, they would drive me crazy!  No, really, we live out of town, so they don't get to go and just hang out with the neighbor kids and these activities are enriching and build self-confidence and self-esteem, so it is all worth it.  Soon the Middle School Musical starts up.  Son #2 is going to audition for that again.  He has been in the last two musicals as one of the smaller part cast members, but is hoping this year to get a 'good' part.  He has a voice, but he doesn't use it when he isn't just goofing around.  I told him, it is time to belt it out and stop worrying about what other people are going to think or say.  We will see how it goes, he came down with a cold and missed the first auditions, so he is going to have to do it at school this week.  I sure hope he is feeling better real soon.
I have taken up knitting, so I do that sometimes while I wait for them to get done with whatever they are doing.  Mostly, I am just playing chauffeur.  I do get the reward of listening to them playing lovely music for me, especially this time of year when they are playing 'seasonal' music.  Also, my daughter is a very lovely dancer and I just bubble over with pride when we get to the end of year recital.
                                     

And the musical is always a fun and worthwhile production.
No, I don't have favorites.  I love all three of my kids.  I joke about them driving me crazy, but that is what kids are supposed to do, right?  I know that.  I call my son a knucklehead because I love him.  Really. : |  

It does amaze me at how different each of our children are.  Each one has something about them that makes them a wonderful human being.  We were very fortunate parents to have such good kids.  It isn't always an easy job to be a parent, but it isn't always easy being a kid.  Sometimes I think us adults forget that.  I often think back to when I was each of their ages and remember exactly what it was like.  I would NEVER want to go back a relive being a teenager or a tween.  Maybe 8-years old wouldn't be all bad though.

For the time being (and for the last 15-years) I have not had to work outside the house.  So, I guess my sucky Mondays are just, for me, a way to relate to those parents who have regular working Mondays.

No comments:

Post a Comment