Thursday, December 9, 2010

Another day gone by

So, I got up with the kids this morning, got them fed and on the bus and all was quiet.  Well, not all quiet, but a lot quieter.  The puppies are always pretty spun up in the mornings and need some play time, so, after the kiddos are on the bus, I let them out to play.  Mind you, my puppies range in size from 30-pounds to 70-pounds.  Two of them are the mom and dad and the others are their pups from a litter in July.  Mom and dad go at the wrestling and growling and doing their general doggy thing.  The puppies look at them a second and then do the same thing.  It was hilarious.  It reminded me of the scene in Bambi when his mother takes him to the meadow the first time and he sees the others for the first time.  Then after meeting Faline, the young bucks start rutting and the little deer starting mimicking them.  The puppies seemed to do the same thing, and it made me chuckle.  They are big enough that the fence I put up this fall to keep them contained is now just part of their obstacle course.  The run out, go around the corner, jump the fence and go running out on the two sides that the in-ground fence allows them to go in and that is where they run and jump and play until I call them back.  Then they are like a herd of deer, first mom jumps the fence like it is barely there, then dad who has finally gotten the courage to just jump it and not sit and hesitate, then the little girl is like her mommy and clears it with ease, then the 'little'(38-pound) boy comes bringing up the rear.  Puppies are a lot of work, but this litter has been so much fun.  I only have one left to find a home for, the little girl.  We love them and it is fun, but 4 big dogs in the house right now is not my idea of a perfect situation.  One day when I have a facility for raising puppies in and have a house that is more adapted to having the dogs in here like that, then I will look at having more of them.

I love to sleep.  I probably love sleep more than most people.  My husband says I would sleep my life away if he let me.  I don't know if that is true though.  Maybe it isn't that I love sleep so much but I stay up so late at night.  I love the peace and quiet.  I have always been a night owl.  I had to wonder before my children were born how I would ever wake up with them in the night to feed and change them, but I guess some things nature just has a way of taking care of.  I don't mean I left it up to nature to feed and change them and night, and since I was breastfeeding them for most or all of their first years, I didn't leave it up to my husband either.  Although, he would do as much as he could.  I got up, though sometimes in a stupor, and I did what I had to do.  It is funny what being a mother can make you do.  I heard once that when women have been carrying their babies in plane crashes that when their bodies were found that the mother was still clutching the child to her even though she was dead.  Now, that is a strong maternal instinct!

So, the kids were gone at 7:20.  I thought I would just go to tackling chores around the house.  I switched the laundry did a little clean-up in the kitchen, started the dishwasher.  Dogs were fed and let out and then brought back in (gladly, since the ice and snow were pretty cold this morning on their feet).  I looked around and what to do next and thought I should get at the bills that were on the desk.  I grabbed some juice, popped in a couple of toaster waffles and set to work.  I swear, I wasn't in the desk chair for 5 minutes and I couldn't keep my eyes open.  I don't know what the heck came over me.  I finally gave up after a few more and trying to stretch and wake myself up.  I said, "Okay, a little nap on the couch and I will get back at it."  When I woke up, it was 12:15!!!!  Oh, my, God!  Half my day was gone!  But, I no longer felt tired and I was ready to hit the ground running.  I threw on a pot of coffee and got to work.  I got the bills caught up and did some more laundry and tended animals and such until the kids came home again.

Every now and then I have those days where I just need to go back and get some sleep.  I don't know if it my body telling me I haven't been getting enough sleep at night or if my hormones do something to me that I just get zapped and need a recharge?  Whatever it is, when it hits, it hits HARD.

Here it is, late again.  I sure hope I don't have a repeat of this morning  when 6:30 rolls around, I have too many things to do.
I better get to bed.
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment