Friday, December 17, 2010

I Had To Laugh

This morning my eldest came down stairs mad at his brother.  Why?  Because HE woke up with a song playing in HIS head that brother had been singing repeatedly the day before.  So, I had to laugh.  It happens to us all.  Middle child has a way of irritating Eldest because he likes to go around singing, just certain bits and pieces of a song or songs, and after a while it really can grate on someone's nerve.  Being that they are 12 and 14, it doesn't take long for one to get on the other's last nerve.  It is very trying as a parent, as all parents of children this age know.  My mother had eleven of us, oh, how I pity her.  I don't know how she didn't manage to crack a skull somewhere along the line.  Who could have blamed her if she had?

As the holidays are close, I am feeling at a loss for time to accomplish all that I want to.  Isn't that everyone's story though?  Really, every year, like so many other people, I say to myself "Next year I am going to start doing stuff ahead of time", and life gets in the way and I never get it done.  It is always on to the next big thing to take care of.  But, you know, it isn't so bad.  I think about people who spend  hours a day sitting in front of a television, and can't imagine my life not having things to do, or wanting to have it that way.  Maybe a day here or there where I don't feel guilty if I take a break from it, but to have every day to have to find things to do.  That will never be me.  I would rather have  a list a mile long that nothing to do.  Of course, I can always find something to do with all the hobbies I undertake.

Middle child is doing a country report on the Philippine Islands.  I have been helping him look up information to add to the report and his map.  It is always interesting to me to learn about countries like that.  Middle child just loves learning about foreign cultures, and he is really getting into this one in particular.  We have been talking about foods you might find in the PI.  I have had the opportunity to eat some of them since I had been in the Navy and worked with a number of Philippino nationals, or with other Navy personnel who were married to them.  We have looked at a few items that would be easy enough to make in an electric skillet and prepare and share at school.  Middle really likes that idea and is anxious to try the foods out.  He is such a fussy eater, but when you come to him with something completely different from our normal diet, he just chows down.  I don't understand it?  My husband is a very adventurous eater and always has been, and Middle takes right after him.  Make a homemade stew or soup and he scoffs at it because of the vegetables, but offer him squid or some other odd seafood and he pops it right in his mouth.  Of all things, one of his favorite foods is smoke salmon.  The day he came home and begged for me to buy some I almost flipped.  So, now that is one of those special items I buy just for him.

Well, I have new carpeting arriving this afternoon, so back to cleaning up the room in preparation.

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment