Monday, December 13, 2010

Diggin' Out

My husband is finishing up his 3-weeks of training the company sent him to this weekend.  I sent him pictures today of the snow we got since he has been gone.  Did I mention, he is in L.A.?  He is lucky I reminded him to take his winter jacket to leave in his truck at the airport.  He is definitely going to need it when he returns.  Since he has been gone, we have had two major snowfalls, one with 12-inches and one with about 16-inches, though it is hard to tell just how much we got the second time with the wind blowing like crazy.  Where there was a foot of snow one day, the ground is bare the next from wind moving it all around.   Thank goodness we have a good snowblower that we bought last year.  Usually, my hubby puts this huge, heavy thrower on the front of the lawn tractor.  It is a pain in the rear for him to hook up and it is cumbersome and difficult to actually put to use.  The tires need weights and it ends up getting stuck in snow like we have out here now, the grainy stuff.  But this little red unit sure cut right through the drifts almost like butter.

My biggest concern these days with the cold and snow is my poor feathered friends.  Their new coop has yet to be delivered and they are not liking this white stuff.  They just started coming out the day before we got this blizzard over the weekend.  They were scratching and pecking and sitting in the sun.  Now they just want to huddle inside and don't even want to walk on the snow.  I can't say as I blame them with bare feet and all.  Some of the little breeds just fly everywhere they need to go.

Our dogs are happy with the snow, you would think they were born in a snowbank. 

Since we have lived here, now 11-1/2 years, this is about the 3rd snowy December we have had.  Last year we had snow for Christmas, but it was a little at a time.  This is just funny to see how much all at once, pretty much.  It is nice that I have a son who is ambitious enough to go out and shovel and run the snowblower too.  Our neighbor actually cleared the end of the driveway though where the snow plows just piled it in.  He had his big tractor with the 5-foot blower on the back and zipped it right open.  I will have to share a chicken from the freezer with them for being so nice.  You gotta like a neighbor like that.

Well, even though it was only about -5 or so when I was out there, I am sweaty and need a shower.  I bought a new down-filled parka from LLBean, and it is only good for when it is really cold like this, otherwise I sweat like crazy.  Today it was perfect, but walking all that time in the sun, I got a good work out.  I am sure the mail lady got a good laugh at the sight of me when she made her delivery to the house with packages to unload.

Well, that shower is calling.

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment