Monday, April 11, 2011

The Grass Woke Up

  We got a big storm on Saturday night.  I didn't really hear it, I sleep like a rock almost every night.  When we woke up in the morning though, things were blown all over and needed to be picked up.  The other thing we saw though, was that the grass had woken up from its winter slumber.  Green began peaking out and the ground isn't brown all over any more.  The tulip and daffodil leaves are poking out now too.  Someone mentioned mowing lawn, and I hope it is a while before we have to do that!

Every spring, along with more sunshine and rain and things turning green, I always manage to get a cold.  Well, mine arrived a little early this year and I felt like a truck was running me over about 7:00 last night.  I turned in before the kids for the first time in a while, and that wasn't enough, I slept in this morning too while my husband got the kids off to school.  I spent the day dragging and feeling like my head has been in a fog.  I hate colds.  I tried to practice the two songs I have for my piano lesson, and it was hopeless.  Then I realized, I don't even have a lesson this week because I will be gone.  Had to tell the teacher that.  I did see her when my two kiddos had their lessons tonight and told her the story.

What is the story?  Well, I am going to a class 3-hours away, so I can get certified to blood test poultry.  Anyone who is 'into' poultry would know what that means.  However, tonight while waiting for my darling daughter to finish her dance class, I saw my BFF.  When I said I wouldn't be around the next 2 days, she said, "Where are you going?"  to which I replied, "A class on testing chickens."  She burst out laughing at me.  She knows I am all into my chickens, though  I am certain she doesn't understand how one could be that thrilled with them.  Shall I explain, that a responsible chicken owner/breeder (which I am aspiring to be) should have their flock tested to make sure it isn't carrying diseases?  It is the equivalent of a dog or cat owner taking their pet to the vet to get tested or immunized, right?  So, why does it seem absurd to a non-chicken person to do the same with poultry?  Or maybe it is just funny to her that it is ME going to this class?  Perhaps.

Tax day is nearly here, and do I have ours done?  NO.  I am panicking now because since I am feeling this way, I am just not sure what kind of job I am going to do at getting it all done.  I told myself this winter that I would not be putting it off until the last minute.  But here I am again.  I have been doing our taxes every year since we were married.  It isn't like we have a gazillion things we need to itemize, but it is still a tedious thing to do.  I always hate it too that we never get back as much as we think we should.

My husband came back from 2 weeks in California doing some training for work.  I wish I could have been excited and jumped up and down when he walked in the door, but I couldn't muster the energy for that.  A simple hug and I missed you was about all we exchanged.  He deserves better than that, but it was not my choice to feel this way.

I guess I should go and sleep some more and in the morning I may be up to finishing taxes and getting things set for me to be gone a day and a half.  You wouldn't think it would be that big of a deal, but trust me, it is.

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment