Thursday, January 13, 2011

I Couldn't Resist the Itch

I have been broken.  I could no longer resist the temptation of hatching eggs.  I have now ordered my first batch of the season, some bantam Wyandotte eggs for Daughter.  I showed her the picture of the darling little black hen the breeder has and she just fell in love.  "Awwww, she is so CUTE!"  That is about all it takes, you know.  She wants to show standard size Blue Cochins too, but I like to see her hold a chicken her own size as well. They will go nicely with her fluffly little Silkies.

I know I better get some more eggs to go in the bator with them now.  Darn it all (hee hee hee).

It is so cold this morning that it is almost hard to think about hatching chicks and having a brooder going.  I said almost hard to think about it.  But being the tough nut that I am, it is no problem for me.

The spring schedule is already filling up.  Middle started musical practice this week, Eldest has Math League, piano and work (2-3 times a week), and Daughter has dance 2 nights a week and piano.  Now 4-H stuff is getting thrown in more, and Eldest wants to work the sound booth for the musical, which would mean 2 more nights of running him.  I don't think there is time for all of this.  Thank goodness we don't have any more kids.

Well, I need to get back to shopping for eggs to hatch, and then to cataloging my stock of seeds so I can then start seed shopping for my spring planting.  OOOooooooH!  How I love to shop for chickens and garden stuff!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm laughing about you scratching your itch. However, how are getting the eggs through mail order without them freezing before they get to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. People who know what they are doing, and most do, label their packages very well for the Post Office to see. They also wrap them individually in bubble wrap which tends to insulate them and then put more bubble wrap around that. I ordered several batches of eggs through mail last year and I never had a frozen one. They might get cold though, which is okay down to about 40-degrees.

    ReplyDelete