Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy 2011!

I have heard it said that whatever you are doing on New Year's Eve is what you will be doing a lot of in the upcoming year.  I hope not.  Not that NYE was bad, just I hope I am not sitting around drinking champagne and playing Pictionary.  It was a fun evening, but the next morning I awoke with a headache, not induced from the drink but from my neck and back being 'out of place'.  Not the way to start the New Year or any year.  It is just one of those side effects of getting older.

Speaking of getting older, my daughter had to remind me that my birthday is coming up the middle of the month.  I am not one of those women who dreads getting older and is trying to fight it all the way, but I wasn't thinking that far ahead really.  Her's and my hubby's birthdays are coming up in early March, so that was the real reason she was thinking birthdays in the first place.  She wants to have a sleepover party and invite a few friends.  We never have been able to do that for her yet and it is about time, but I am uncertain if our house will be in any condition for a little girl's sleepover by then.  "We will see." is the answer she always gets.  I am hoping this time we can give her a yes, but that is to be determined yet.

The kids are back in school today.  It is a good thing, they were getting on my nerves as well as each other's.  The weather prevented much outside time these last few days of the holiday vacation for them, so too much time inside together ended as expected.

I like the holidays, I like the New Year, but I really don't see it as a whole NEW year.  It is another day and we mark it with a different number at the end.  Really, isn't starting a new year in the middle of winter just one of those things that doesn't seem quite right?  To me, the beginning of a new year should be like April 1st, or May 1st, when things are starting to regrow and rebirth begins.  Doesn't that make more sense?  Who made all this stuff up anyway?  It is even more confounding to think about what this time of year is like in the Southern Hemisphere, and how does that feel?  We are in the middle of a season, and nothing at all seems new to me.

I did accomplish some things over the holiday break.  We didn't go anywhere, so I relaxed and watched some TV, which I do very little of normally, and I knitted.  I have now completed a hat and my very first mitten ever!  Now to get the second one done to give the set to someone.  I really love to knit now and I am getting better at it.  I also love to sew.  I think the reason is that I am creating something.  It feels good to make something, especially when it is going to be given to someone near and dear to use or wear.  I did knit myself a hat last month.  I needed one to go with my new coat and since I had some yarn that would match....
So far this "year" I have made a hat for Eldest, a hat for Daughter, a hat for myself, a hat and one mitten for my 'other' mother-in-law and have started the other mitten, I have also started and then restarted a hat for Middle Child.  One year I sewed lots of fleece hats and mittens and scarves.  I made them for my kids, their friends, some nieces, my mother-in-law, and father-in-law.  I have done quilting too, but not nearly as much as I would like to have made.  I am hoping one day, if we ever tear down our house and re-build, that I can have my own craft room where I can do all these things that I love so much.

Now, this entry would not be complete without something about my chickens.  They don't care that it is a new year, all they care about is the cracked corn I bring them to eat.  I feel badly for them, they are cold and not very happy.  The ground is so cold that they just want to stay in their coops nearly the whole time.  Can't say as I can blame them.  We didn't even bother opening them up a couple of days ago when the wind was blowing so hard and cold.  The one time I did check the wind chill was -13.  I finally decided to bring my little Silkies into the garage and put them into a rabbit cage after seeing how the big old lug-headed Jersey Giants were walking right over the top of them.  Besides, they were getting all filthy.  The one day it was in the 40s and the ground and snow thawed a bit, they got so dirty that I realized it was time to plan a bath day for them.  My hubby is going to be gone for a couple of days to work this week, so I can get them in without subjecting him to the smell of washing poopy chickens.  I may even let them set in the basement to dry afterward, it is nice and toasty down there.

Well, my day is beginning.  I must feed the outdoor critters and then get ready for a run to the orthodontist.  Yup, we are back to the old grind.

Happy New Year and stay safe and be happy!
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment