Thursday, January 12, 2012

He's Back!!!

Old Man Winter seems to have been on a hiatus, but today he is back with vengence.  Was it Sunday or Monday it was 50-degrees, and now the temp is 13 with a wind chill of -5.  Like I really want to go out there?  Not really.  But, I have birds that rely on me for food and water and I must go and take care of them.  I have a feeling the ducks are inside today too.  They are so silly, they stay out all the time, but the last time the temps dipped like this, they actually went inside for the first time, voluntarily.

This weekend the temp is supposed to be back to 40, so I think that is when I will be running the electric in the big chicken out.  That way the birds should have water all day long without freezing, and I won't have to break ice every day.  I need to water twice on days like today to make sure they are getting plenty.

I got two pens of bantams up and separated.  They seem pretty happy, or at least my little Frizzles are.  They have been in a large rabbit cage for some time now and though I had a pad in there that gave them solid floor in part of it, they are happy to have an all solid floor and shavings to scratch in.  I still have 5 bantam pens to finish in there, then the construction in that building will be done.  I did say  IN because I still need to get out and get gates on the outdoor runs, and wire over the top for those breeds that love to fly out.

Well, I need to run to the mill for more feed.  It is time to face the awful weather.

CC

No comments:

Post a Comment