Saturday, April 21, 2012

It Just Goes to Show

So, I was right, first of all.  This year has been just crazy B-U-S-Y!!!
Here a chick, there a chick, everywhere chicks, chicks, chicks!!!!  But it is a good thing, Martha.

I am hatching, or just finishing Hatch (Lucky Number) 13!  I haven't counted, but I am sure I am going to hit the 1 Grand mark soon.  My girls have been good to me.

So, I have to share one very funny story about a customer/group of customers.  I started getting e-mails from a young boy, though at the time this started I was not aware it was a boy, about getting a few chicks.  Impatient is his name.  LOL.  I wish MY OWN kids would get as excited about chickens as this boy and his friends are.  Apparently, they are starting a new business of raising chickens and selling eggs.  How exciting for them, right?  The oldest I believe is 16, and his brother is about 12, I would say, and their friends.  They e-mailed me several times and really, really wanted to come and check out my birds and what I had to sell.  Finally, the day came.  They asked for my address to find me, but then got lost, drove past and got lost again, calling me each time.  At first, I was annoyed.  Then they got here and it started making me laugh.  They had $X.00 and wanted to know how many chicks they could get.  It reminded me of the days when I would go to the general store with my mother and see how many pieces of candy I could get for a dime!  For starters, I would never have pegged these boys for the chicken loving type.  Finally, they went home with about 7 or 8 chicks of various colors and appearances.  They no more than got home and were sending me messages, they wanted to come back and get more.
For the next couple of days they kept sending me stuff, asking if I had one of these or one of those.  Then I had a chat with one on Facebook, and he just cracked me up.  I think I have become a fan of these young entrepreneurs.  They are funny and have gotten so excited about something that isn't something lame.  I don't consider it lame, as some more hip than I would, because they are kids and they are undertaking something that will lead them to learn a great deal about responsibility.  Whether they stick with it, or if they fail or succeed, they will learn something, I just know it.  They just couldn't wait for me, they went to someone else and got a bunch of Banties and they are on a roll.  I think I am going to enjoy watching them get going.  I hope they achieve whatever they are aiming for.  In the meantime, they are having a fun time with their little fluffballs.

This year has also shown us (Hubby and I) that parenting a teen sure is a job in itself.  Parents should be able to take a sebbatical from their regular jobs to take on the one they have with teens.  It is insane some days and we wonder if we are talking to a wall, because the very next day sometimes, we are having the same exact discussion about something that has happened the day before.  It is insanity at its best.  It truly is.  But we do understand that something happens to the teen brain that it goes into sort of a 'coast' mode.  No energy in, no energy out, just coasting.  And we consider ourselves lucky, because we know that he is a good kid.  OMG!  If I had a really messed up kid to begin with?  Just shoot me if that ever happens.  Like I said, we are lucky.  One thing we know, we MUST keep talking with them, no matter what.
Once in a while though, we really connect and have some good laughs.  Today was one of those days. I almost, literally, peed my pants.  I must concede here though that at this point in my life, that isn't terribly hard to do some days.  Too much coffee........Well, I know how to keggle and cross my legs.  it is not like the pregnancy days though where you sneeze and wet yourself to a point of embarrassment.

I remember when I was a kid, my one brother and two younger sisters were all sitting in the kitchen yucking it up.  We got my sister laughing SO hard, she did wet herself.  So, being the kind, thoughtful siblings we were, we kept making her laugh harder.  You know what happens then?  Yeah, Niagara Falls, all down her pants.  Hmmm.  Maybe that is why we don't talk anymore?  We were relentless though.  She was crying from laughing and then crying because she couldn't stop.  And there we were, poking the bear ;)

I don't see my kids having that much fun together often enough, but those golden moments when we all are together and no one is fighting.... Well, duh, they are golden!
We were watching old videos of the kids from about 8 years ago, last weekend.  There were somethings that were just priceless, like Daughter when she was 2 and I was singing her the nightly bedtime songs.  I sang the same ones each night and she was learning them bit by bit.  I would sing the verse and she would fill in the last word.  It was so precious, I wanted to cry.  I will have my slice of nostalgia with a side of more nostalgia, please.  Oh, how I miss those days!  Or Eldest playing air guitar to Jungle Book 2.  How about Middle explaining that the crying in the background was just 'technical difficulties with a 1-year old", and as he said it, he was holding the camera like someone would hold the sides of your head to make sure you were listening to the very important thing you had to say.
To listen to the way they sounded back then is HILARIOUS!  We could hardly believe who was speaking when we heard them.  It was all so fun back then.  It still is now, but life is no longer about Play-Doh and night night songs, it is about learning to drive and getting a first job, and deciding what classes to take to prepare for college.  It is recitals for dance that they are in every show because they are in classes that are advanced enough that it is there turn to be in with the big girls.  It has all gone so fast, and I wish I could turn it all back and go play with my little kids.  Oh, how I miss my three little darlings.  Now, they better hurry the hell up and get me some grandbabies so I can enjoy those precious moments.  Alas, I WILL wait for them to reach a point of being responsible, mature people who are ready for parenting.  Then I will wish for PAYBACK!!!

CC

2 comments:

  1. There honestly needs to be a word that encompasses what happens when you are simultaneously laughing and peeing your pants. :P

    -Barb the French Bean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we should see if it is on Wiki ; )

    ReplyDelete